How To Connect 6 Speakers To A 2-Channel Amp: Audio Tech Tips
Figuring out how to connect 6 speakers to a 2-channel amp is an achievable setup you can do. However, since the standard connection would be with four speakers only, you need to understand some of the restrictions and even power bearing so that your setup will work correctly.
Keep in mind that the most important thing when learning how to connect 6 speakers to a 2-channel amp is the balanced distribution of load to each channel. You also need to check if your amplifier can bear such a power load. If your amplifier cannot handle such a load, it might damage the entire audio system. Each of your amp's channels can only hold a specific amount of power, so always check with your manual if the process of how to connect 6 speakers to a 2-channel amp is feasible.
Understanding Power Distribution
Here's how power distribution works. For instance, for a 6-speaker device, you'll usually have 25 watts of power for each of the first four speakers. The remaining two then have 50 watts each. In total, you'll have 200 watts of power. You need to divide this figure into two of your channels, so you have 100 watts of power for each channel to bear. Doing this can help you balance the load, and you can easily see if your amplifier can handle such load.
Connecting 6 Speakers to a 2-Channel Amplifier
The two main ways on how to connect 6 speakers to a 2-channel amp are through either in series or parallel connection. What way you choose should depend on the kind of speakers and amps you have. You should put into consideration their impedance levels and limits. Impedance talks about the resistance capacity of your devices. Connecting them in series puts more pressure on your amp. While the parallel connection significantly lowers it.
Determine the Right Method to Use
- Identify the maximum and minimum impedance levels of your amplifier.
- Check the impedance level of your speaker by reading the user manual that came with your device.
- Add the total impedance levels of your two left speakers. Determine if the sum is within the holding capacity of your amplifier. If yes, connect the wires in series. However, if the sum is more than the limit, proceed to the next step.
- Multiply the impedance of your left speakers and divide this by the sum of both. If the answer is within limits, you can connect them in parallel connection. If not, do not attempt to connect the devices since the amp cannot handle the load.
How to Wire in Series
- Connect the left positive terminal of your amp to the positive left terminal of your speakers.
- Then, link the negative terminal f your speaker to the positive terminal of your left speaker.
- Connect the negative terminal of the second left speaker to the negative terminal of your amplifier.
- Repeat the steps until you complete connecting your six speakers.
How to Wire in Parallel
- Link your amp's left positive wires and negative terminals to the equivalent terminals on one of the left speakers.
- Take another pair of positive and negative terminals of your amp to the corresponding terminals on another left speaker.
- Follow the same process for the right speakers.
Advantages of Adding Multiple Speakers
If you want to increase your speakers' volume, find speakers with different resistance driven by different amps. However, speakers with the same resistance from the same amp won't have a significant change in the volume and quality.
Figuring out how to connect 6 speakers to a 2-channel amp should be carefully examined before the actual setup. You have to make sure that your amp is capable of holding more power than its normal structure. Always make sure to prevent overloading your amp since it can damage the hardware of your devices. If your amp cannot take the load of six speakers, try to limit it to four. This way, you can still enjoy maximum volume without possibly damaging your amplifier.
Once you are done creating a harness after changing the car stereo, you usually add an amplifier to the car stereo system.
A reliable outdoor patio speaker is designed to conform to any weather condition and still provide the best audio quality. If you are looking for the best outdoor patio speakers to turn your yard parties and get-togethers livelier, then lucky for you, we’ve listed our top seven picks that are the best in the market.